The History of the Prince Bishop's Men
In the time of Flambard and Bek, the name 'The Prince Bishops Men' was given to the nobles, churchmen and knights who fought for the Palatinate. They were well known for their bravery, honesty and honour. Many great deeds were accomplished by them.
In later years, many of these people became rather mercenary in nature, and the Prince Bishops Men became the Durholme Warband. The Warband sold it's services to the highest bidder, but always fulfilled it's contracts, once signed, and gained a reputation as one of the more reliable Mercenary Units.
In 1090, William Hatfield took direct control of the Durholme Warband, forging it into a tool for his purposes, rather than a strictly mercenary unit. He used them to great effect during the Battle of Neville's Cross in 1091, in which a crushing defeat was inflicted on the Caledonians. This battle was the first in which the Cross of St Cuthbert was raised as a banner, and thereafter that symbol was used by the Warband. At this time, they took again the old name, The Prince Bishops Men.
The Prince Bishops Men fought for the Griffons at the Gatherings of 1092, 1093 and 1094, as part of a trade deal signed in 1090, before Hatfield took control of them. They took part in the Civil War of Albion, in support of Corvos, and left for Avalon with the Bishop after that battle was lost.
The Prince Bishops Men were based in Kirkby Muxloe, in the Palatinate of New Durholme, until it's destruction by the Nosta Kar. They were now based on Holy Isle until its return to Edreja.
On arrival in the islands of Lantia, the Prince Bishop's Men occupied an ancient sea fort which they renamed Fort Hatfield, in a position to defend not only one of the main sea lanes into Lantia, but also the adjoining island of Gallathrix, which became the new Palatinate.